Re: fetching a remote branch??

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:19:17AM -0600, Michael Gale wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I am using the latest release of dulwich and am fetching a git repo
> from github.
>
> I can fetch the repo and access master, view the commit log, etc. However I
> need to switch branches but for the life of me can't figure out how :(
>
> I did try:
> repo.refs.set_symbolic_ref(branch_name, repo_name) but that throws a
> RefFormatError for the branch name.
Can you give some examples of values you're passing for branch_namke
and repo_name. You would presumably want "HEAD" and
"refs/heads/somename".

> I also tried repo.refs.get_packed_refs() and it returns an empty list, so I
> think I need to perform a fetch_pack()??
That's okay - the refs in your repo just aren't packed. That's got to
do with the way they're stored on disk though; dulwich abstracts that
away.

Cheers,

Jelmer