Re: stable vs. unstable

> What I'd hate to see happen is that debian/rhel/etc makes a new
> release and ends up grabbing such a "not recommended" release because
> it was the latest version at the right (wrong) moment. The result
> would likely be (1) support hell for 4+ years, (2) unnecessary bad
> reputation because of many people having issues over a significant
> period of time.

Btw, the reason I am not suggesting that we do something like
security/critical point releases is that (1) it's more releng work,
and in particular (2) duplicity is not a major/high-profile software
package enough that distributions are likely to expend a lot of effort
tracking point releases and doing release engineering.

Rather my suggestion was designed to just avoid "leaking" a "bad"
release into a distribution without the distribution people having to
expend more effort - while at the same time not imposing lots of work
for maintenance and not hindering early-adopters from grabbing new
releases and reporting issues.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>'