Re: Listing old files

Hi Michael,

3. Duplicity considers any signature chains that aren't the latest to
be 'extraneous' (which means it will be deleted on a cleanup)

I was always wondering why old chains were without signature. Now I know.

If we wanted to make it easier to list Old Files:
A. Don't mark old sig chains as extraneous

100% .. I don't see a need to delete those. They are essential to the old backup data.

B. Consider old sig chains when being given a time for list-current
C. Optionally a fallback mode for deleted old sig chains by skimming
the volume?  Seems like a lot of bandwidth.

Well it's a new feature .. no reason to recreate sigs if an old version deleted those. I think it's enough to know that from version X on you are able to restore from any time since you started using version X.

What's the cost of (A)?  How big do sig chains grow?

I can write patch for (B) easily enough.

Please do.

For (C), I assume it's not worth it.  I don't suppose we get lucky by,
say, the archive directory secretly storing a copy of the old sig
chains even after a cleanup or anything?

Agreed, see above.

As I noted in the thread in duplicity-talk, you can restore a file
from a previous backup chain.  Seems odd (from a user perspective)
that you can't list the files.

That's true to my knowledge ... some time ago I tried this and it worked, as far as i remember.

In Deja Dup, I'd like to be able to
list those old files; the next version will start automatically
creating multiple full backups for safety's sake, and I want to make
sure that all files are listable.

Not sure what you mean here. Please explain.

I'd prefer to fix this in duplicity
for everyone, but if ya'll think it's undoable, I can do some hack,
like make separate directories in the backend for each full backup.
But that's more low-level than I wanted to be.  Seems like the same
thing could be done by not deleting sig chains.

Also here? ...

ede
duply.net