[Question #121479]: Is there a way to have rolling incremental backups?

New question #121479 on Duplicity:

My planned backup scenario is to have rolling incremental backups, based on one full upload at the beginning, with the ability to delete things older than X days. Having the backups gzipped and encrypted is a most welcome bonus, but not having to upload all the files every now and then (as in, performing a new full backup) is a requirement.

I did some research and ran a couple of test scenarios, but I’m still not 100% sure whether there is a way to obtain this behaviour with duplicity; it seems that any space recovery (in the form of removing backups older than, say, 30 days) requires that a full backup is done first, and doing that requires re-uploading all of the data over the network from scratch – or can duplicity re-use previously-uploaded volumes to construct a new full backup?

(Basically, it seems what I’d love to have is rdiff-backup with encryption, and I’m wondering whether duplicity can work in this manner…)