Re: [Question #150801]: BucketAlreadyOwnedByYou

Brandon Keszler proposed the following answer:
Max, I just came across this same issue this evening. I see the thread
hasn't been updated in a while but wanted to post for anyone else that
may be frustrated with this.

You can force duplicity to use the Northern California buckets (even existing ones) by editing 'connection.py' in the python modules folder (for me: /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/boto/s3). There are only two lines that need to be changed (->) as follows:
connection.py:91
DefaultHost = 's3.amazonaws.com' -> DefaultHost = 's3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com'

connection.py:214
 url = '%s://%s.s3.amazonaws.com/' % (http_method, bucket_name) -> url = '%s://%s.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/' % (http_method, bucket_name)
If you need to use other regions (i.e. Tokyo), simply substitute with the region specific endpoints per the AWS documentation
http://aws.amazon.com/articles/3912#s3