Python 3

Hello!  Just a note to say that apparently Ubuntu wants to try to get
Python 2 off the Desktop CD for Ubuntu 12.10.  Which, if accomplished,
would mean porting duplicity to Python 3.

I talked briefly to Canonical's resident Python geek, Barry Warsaw,
about it.  He recommends using the same code base (i.e. no py2to3 or
helper libraries like python-six) and only supporting 2.6+ and 3.2+.
One can do this by using a few 'future' imports and careful coding
choices [1, 2].

This would mean bumping the supported RHEL version from 5 to 6.  I
know we've talked vaguely about when that would be acceptable to do
[3].  I'm not sure where we fell on that exactly.  But I suppose if
Ubuntu is serious about this, they'd be willing to run with a ported
version ahead of upstream for a while as long as that's the direction
ya'll are going too.

How does that plan sound?

I have the barest beginnings of such a port [4], but it doesn't really
make any interesting changes yet.  But it will likely be where future
work happens if anyone is interested in following along.  Nor will I
be working on this in the near future; this is just a statement of
intent.

[1] http://www.wefearchange.org/2011/12/lessons-in-porting-to-python-3.html
[2] http://www.wefearchange.org/2012/01/python-3-porting-fun-redux.html
[3] RHEL end of life dates: