Re: [Question #193846]: These backup times seem very excessive

On 23.04.2012 15:50, Kai-Alexander Ude wrote:
> Question #193846 on Duplicity changed:
>
> Kai-Alexander Ude proposed the following answer:
> Swapping is not occurring cause the server has 24 GB of ram. Swap partition is 512 MB.
> When backup is running ram load is not really high. About 4 GB is in use.
> Is it possible telling duplicity to use more ram?
> How can I prevent the swapping process?

you can't. swapping/paging occurs when ram is full and additional memory
is needed. less used ram content is then moved from fast ram to slow
swap disks. the alternative is that the kernel kills processes that it
thinks are not essential.

>> If swapping is occurring, split the backup into multiple parts that make sense and try again.
> Split the backup into multiple parts means one backup profile for email, one profile for web, one profile for /etc ?

that's what ken meant, but obviously that's not needed.

>> did you make sure that your /tmp filesystem is not the issue here?
> Changing temp dir to /var/tmp because /tmp is part of the system partition (/ mount point) with just 20 GB.
> /var/tmp is mounted on a big partition, file system is ext3.

did you benchmark the filesystem over a longer period to make sure it is
reliably fast?

>> maybe it get's sporadically slow?
> Absolutely. Sometimes the duplicity temp file in /var/tmp needs just 5 minutes to be created.
> Sometimes (another duplicity temp file) needs more than a couple of hours.

see above.

>> btw. it seems that nearly your whole backup changes on incrementals. in case of e.g. database
>> dumps we usually suggest not to compress them as this makes the impossible for librsync to
>> detect only the changed portions within a file. compression is then done during backup.
>
> Database dumps are not in the backup set of duplicity. Another process handles database backup.
> And /var/lib/mysql is an excluded directory.

that was an example. what kind of data do you back up? it seems to
change to a big degree.

did you try the compression switches of gpg?