Re: [Question #195460]: [Ubuntu] Permissions problem during backup

David Arnstein posted a new comment:
Thank you Ken. I would like to file a bug against Ubuntu 12.04, but I
would like your opinion on this. Here is mine:

Ubuntu presents Duplicity as the default backup facility for users. In
particular, there is a "Backup" item in the settings panel of Ubuntu. If
a user clicks on this item, he can schedule a backup job. This backup is
performed by Duplicity.

Under these conditions, I claim that a user can expect that his "backup"
job will yield a product that can, in the future, be used to restore his
computer to its present state. If this backup job makes an incomplete
copy of the user's disk, this will not be the case.

I claim that the most reasonable behavior for the Ubuntu "backup" item
in its settings panel would be to run Duplicity with high privelege, so
that the backups produced by Duplicity are complete.