Re: [Question #264755]: ubuntu14.04 LTS / duplicity 0.6.23 / hash trouble when trying to restore

On 07.04.2015 22:21, Andreas wrote:
> Question #264755 on Duplicity changed:
>
> Description changed to:
> I have created a full backup (approx. 262GB) using version 0.6.23.
> Backup destination was a folder on an external USB drive. During backup,
> the power supply of the USB drive was interrupted and the backup
> stopped.
>
> Repeating the last (full) backup command line I was happy that it found
> the latest volume and appeared to take the appropriate actions, here's
> part of the out (luckily, I had saved all logs, both of the first and
> the second run):
>
> [...]
> Found primary backup chain with matching signature chain:
> -------------------------
> Chain start time: Sun Apr  5 18:05:44 2015
> Chain end time: Sun Apr  5 18:05:44 2015
> Number of contained backup sets: 1
> Total number of contained volumes: 2338
>  Type of backup set:                            Time:      Num volumes:
>                 Full         Sun Apr  5 18:05:44 2015              2338
> -------------------------
> No orphaned or incomplete backup sets found.
> PASSPHRASE variable not set, asking user.
> PASSPHRASE variable not set, asking user.
> RESTART: Volumes 2338 to 2338 failed to upload before termination.
>          Restarting backup at volume 2338.
> Deleting /tmp/duplicity-IFJ44h-tempdir/mktemp-NtXX3H-2
> Restarting after volume 2337, file andreas_home/Documents/05 Bilder/Jahresringe/2009/2009_03_10/IMG_6333.JPG, block 48
> A .
> A andreas_home
> A andreas_home/Documents
> A andreas_home/Documents/00 to do
> A andreas_home/Documents/00 to do/2013-04-02 to do.xls
> A andreas_home/Documents/00 to do/2015-03-23 Matschbirne Fotos
> A andreas_home/Documents/00 t
> [...]
>
> I did "check" the archive using the "--list-current-files" option and it

well that's not a check.. you should have verified via 'verify'.. list
only uses the manifest to tell what is supposed to be in the backup.

> looked fine. So I proceeded to do the repartitioning job that I intended
> to do and now I am facing the restore process. I would like to mention
> that I had successfully tested the backup/restore process with a some
> 5GB big folder containing plenty of files.

yeah.. usually duplicity works.. wouldn't be a useful software
otherwise, wouldn't it?

> Now when trying to do the full restore I get hash mismatches. Looking
> through existing reports I found there are tons of these bug reports,
> mainly back in the older versions, but if I had known I would have
> refrained from using duplicity and rather done a simple copy/paste
> backup. aaargh.
>
> I get this kind of errors:
>
> [...]
> Writing 10 Aqua/80 Dienstleister/Hampe/Hahnauslaufkorrekturen Feb2008/NichtOkay1.JPG of type reg
> Deleting /tmp/duplicity-r6cAfi-tempdir/mktemp-kVpriE-8
> Processed volume 7 of 8661
> Invalid data - SHA1 hash mismatch for file:
>  duplicity-full.20150405T160544Z.vol4824.difftar.gpg
>  Calculated hash: a229d6d62c6c0cb74eb523a32cf560583eb917db
>  Manifest hash: b90a7f7e93407f3db6833869d75e8a049161932f
>
> ...which causes the process to stop.
>
> question 1) what is the command-line option to skip the problematic
> volume/file and carry on? --force and --ignore-errors won't do the job.

--ignore-errors should do the job, although you will have to check the
log for errors manually. if not.. please sent a _full_ command line
output, obfuscate what you deem private!

> For now, I only found descriptions of how to manually extract the
> surviving files, but I have to admit I am not looking forward to do this
> with 500'000 files manually.

reasonably

> I have 8661 volume files, each having a size of 26.3MB (5631 volumes) or
> 26.2MB (3030 volumes). The very last volume #8661 has got only 26.1MB
> size. So it looks to me as those files were "complete".
>
> question 2) any hints what is going wrong and how to do a clean restore?

not really, except that the backup is probably corrupted.

> Many thanks in advance,
> Andreas.
>
> PS: Gave it another try after upgrading to version 0.7.02, same
> behaviour.

sent the log requested above and we'll see.. ede/duply.net