Re: [Question #273031]: BackendException: hostname 'x.y.z.s3.amazonaws.com' doesn't match either of '*.s3.amazonaws.com', 's3.amazonaws.com'

On 10.11.2015 11:02, Yoav Aner wrote:
> Question #273031 on Duplicity changed:
>
> Yoav Aner posted a new comment:
> ok, thanks for pointing boto out. I'll see if upgrading to the latest
> version of boto resolves this, or will try to report this to them.
>
> Otherwise, I don't think those 'workarounds' -- downgrade python to
> 2.7.3 or avoid using this switch, that should be backwards compatible
> with old-style buckets, or at least it was -- are really a solution.

never suggested that. just pointed out that obviously a change there but
not in duplicity caused the hickup.

>> also: the error is legitimate. the hostname really doesn't match.
>
> I don't know the definition of `*` matches in this context, but in some
> cases `*` should match both `x` and `x.y.z.`,

right, depends on the context. afaik there is a limitation of one level
subdomains for wildcard certs.

> and it's odd that the same
> error doesn't happen with earlier version of python.

my guess would be they (python) updated their code to enforce the
limitation above and boto/amazon stumbled over it. but that's what it
is, just a guess ;)

You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.