[Question #289684]: duplicity URL & variable parsing (webDAV) in shell-script

New question #289684 on Duplicity:

# I am not a seasoned Ubuntu admin/ Duplicity user, so please bear with me if I am missing something obvious...

1. Many WebDAV-providers supply usernames as "emailaddress@xxxxxxxxxxxx". Although this does not seem to be RFC-compliant, users have to live with that anyway...

2. Many WebDAV backends ignore duplicity's FTP_PASSWORD environment variable.

3. Duplicity works OK when I provide cleartext password from CLI, e.g.

    <duplicity /localdir webdavs://'emailaddress@xxxxxxxxxxxx':cleartextpassword@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/remotedir>

4. However, I do not want to use my cleartext password in the command line process so that other users might not spoof it from the process list

5. Trying to use duplicity from a shell script (bash), without using the cleartext password in the command, e.g.

    <PWVARIABLE='cleartextpassword'
    export PWVARIABLE
    duplicity /localdir webdavs://'emailaddress@xxxxxxxxxxxx':$PWVARIABLE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/remotedir>

I always run into parsing problems of the juxtaposed "@" symbol which, together with the WebDAV URL, will be parsed into the variable name. This does not seem to be relieved by exchanging "%40" for "@" as duplicity (or bash?) do not seem to parse this in a useful manner. Putting "$PWVARIABLE" into quotes does not work either, since this seems to be parsed as plaintext and not as variable.

My aim is to run the script with cron for off-site backups.

Is there a workable syntax for this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

# Thanks & kudos for this great tool!

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.