Re: [Question #296122]: gpg encryption process pegs a single core

On 08.07.2016 03:37, Peter Dyson wrote:
> New question #296122 on Duplicity:
>
> Can multiple gpg processes be run concurrently so that all cpu cores are used rather than just one?
>
> I realise if this is one large encrypted stream then you're stuck with whatever gpg and the algorithm it's using are capable of.
> Is there any chance to design duplicity so that multiple streams can be processed simultaneously to take advantage of modern multicore processors.

that's mainly a gpg issue. gpg does not support multithreading and
probably never will. you can search the web about the why.

to implement what your asking in duplicity we would have to create
volumes in temp space and only thereafter encrypt them in parallel. the
current design however is to stream all data and cutting chunks whenever
the volume size is reached. this way no extra temp space is used but yes
it is not possible to parallelize as well.

..regards ede/duply.net

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.