[Question #360622]: duplicity does not end or print summary

New question #360622 on Duplicity:

I've run duplicity and created an approximately 2 TB backup, unencrypted. I ran this backup in verbose (8) mode, and I've watched as each time has been added.

The very last file under my root directory is shown as added, the line "AsyncScheduler: task completed successfully" and the line
"Processed volume XXX" prints, but the application has not terminated and has not printed out the final summary.

Looking at the backup data, e.g., duplicity-full-signatures.20160818T005511Z.sigtar.gz, I see that the file has not changed in the past 3 hours.

Now, this was a rather long haul in the sense that it took 2 days to complete; I ran this at ionice -c 3 in order to leave my machine usable in the meantime.

"ps" shows this duplicity still running at nearly 100% of one CPU. However, there's been no level 8 debug printout in 3 hours.

So:

a) Is this normal for duplicity?
b) If this is normal,  how long should I expect to wait to see the final printout and exit from duplicity?
c) If this is _not_ normal, what are good recovery steps?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I used:

ionice -c 3 \
 duplicity \
  --no-encryption \
  -v8 \
  --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/backup --exclude=/proc \
  --exclude=/run --exclude=/dev --exclude=/sys \
  --exclude-device-files \
  --exclude=/media --exclude=/pc \
  --exclude=/backup/duplicity-data \
  --exclude=/cdrom --exclude=/mnt \
  --archive-dir=/backup/duplicity-data \
  --name=foo \
  / file:///backup

(I don't know if it's good practice or not but I put the archive-dir onto the same drive I'm using to back up. )

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.