Re: [Question #402919]: single backedup file - restore problem

Aaron Whitehouse posted a new comment:
No problem at all. Glad that you recovered most of your data.

Obviously the latest version should have restored correctly unless you
deleted the source file in the meantime. It would be good to get to the
bottom of this if it was a problem with duplicity, but it will likely be
difficult to debug unless it happens again.

I would *strongly* recommend running frequent verify checks on duplicity
backups. It gives a much greater level of confidence that the backup is
working correctly by checking that what duplicity thinks should be in
the archives (the index and hash values) is restorable and matches what
is in the archives. Combine this with “list-current-files” to ensure
that what you expect is being backed up is in the index/signature files.

The summary at the end of a backup operation also gives some useful
information about the number and size of files that have been backed up.
I always check these after I have done a backup to ensure that they are
broadly what I would expect.

If any of these checks are not giving the results that you expect,
please let us know, as we can help you debug the issue and that is
normally far easier than restoring a backup that is not correct.

Kind regards,

Aaron

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.