Unicode/Rev 1212 Replace incoming non-ASCII chars in commandline.py

Ken,

I see revision 1212 has the explanation "Replace incoming non-ASCII chars in commandline.py" but the changes all seem to be about Azure (and look to replicate changes already made in 1210?) -- I wonder if you made a mistake?

I am particularly interested in encoding questions because I am currently doing a large amount of (unmerged) work on improving unicode support in duplicity. Reading the history, it looks as though Michael Terry's Python 3 branch hit a roadblock with all of the unicode/bytes work, so thought I could tackle chunks of that first to ease the transition to Python 3. The key advantage there being that I should be able to merge in that work more gradually and avoid the work of keeping a parallel Python 3 branch up to date for a long conversion period. I am incorporating relevant work from Michael's branch as I go. It is thankfully easier now than it would have been when Michael started his branch (many libraries happily accept/return unicode).

I'll put up a branch shortly. So far I have essentially finished the select/glob matching side, but it is not quite ready for merging yet. It is working, but still assumes a UTF-8 system in a couple of places and the version of pexpect in the old LTS Ubuntus is so old that it has unicode bugs to work around.

Kind regards,

Aaron

Follow ups