Re: [Question #654413]: Feature request: back up some files as full every time

hey Frank,

On 01.08.2017 17:09, Frank Bicknell wrote:
> Question #654413 on Duplicity changed:
>
> Frank Bicknell posted a new comment:
> I occasionally find duplicity still running from the wee hours backup
> and it's working on backing up one of those virtualbox machine images
> that changed the day before. I don't use my virtual Windows box(es)
> every day, so it's a marked contrast to "normal" incremental backup
> days.

ic

> I assumed it was trying to reconcile changes in a huge, encrypted file.
> It always finishes, but there's always a lot of cpu utilization (not to
> the point of choking the machine, mind you).
>
> Just seemed to me that if my premise is correct, it might make sense to
> back up such files full.

yeah, if. why do you assume that the full would be faster? :)

> It would obviously take up more space at the backend, but it would be
> faster.

but why? the librsync algorithm is designed to be as fast as a full passthrough, but only delivering the changes.

> I fully admit my findings are subjective and could be improved on.
>
> If no one else agrees, then consider it just a passing thought and we
> can all get on with our lives.

not so fast cowboy ;). how about the next time this happens you remember
the file and do a test?

first backup the whole file to a file:// location.
then do an incremental to that same location.
compare both times.
if you want you could change some stuff in the vm and run the incremental again, so that you effectively have changes to backup.

not saying you are not right. just saying, it shouldn't be so and of
course where's the data (proof;) ..ede/duply.net

PS: https://www.ted.com/talks/talithia_williams_own_your_body_s_data

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.