[Question #657089]: backend for google cloud (buckets)

New question #657089 on Duplicity:

Reading the Ubuntu man page for "duplicity"

   ( http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/duplicity.1.html#contenttoc7 )

one of the supported backends is

   Google Cloud Storage        gs://bucket[/prefix] .

Unfortunately it doesn't work, and the current duplicity program's help has removed this backend.

As it happens, the google cloud storage sdk does offer an interface for accepting file names through a shell pipe:

   "future_duplicity .... <src> - | gsutil -m mv -I gs://my-bucket"
  ( https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/gsutil/commands/cp)
  ( https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/gsutil/commands/mv) .

So if future_duplicity wrote it's compressed / encoded files to a temp directory
and immediately passed each file's name to stdout, then the above snippet
would achieve the desired result.

It's seems like a very clean interface:
- security is handled by logging into through a google password login, which seems more secure than having keys lying around in text format somewhere.
- the gsutil mv command handles cleaning up the temp file
- the "-m" flag allows multi threaded transmission.

If the duplicity temp files are already compressed / encoded files ready for transmission,
then such a modification shouldn't be too hard; .... if.

Any sanity checking would be greatly appreciated.

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.