Re: Help with unicode branch (for Python3 support)

Hello Ken,

On 18/12/17 13:03, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Hi,

No, I agree.  I was trying to say that we should either
    1) have 0.8 in py2 and py3 branches, e.g. 0.8-py2, 0.8-py3
    2) use 2to3 in single 0.8 branch to produce py3 at install time.
I'm guessing here, but the most stable would be two branches.  I don't have enough experience with 2to3 to know if it's a viable use case.  I may be way off base.

My plan was to use the http://python-future.org/ approach.

The futurize tool spits out code looks and feels like Python 3, but runs on Python 2.7 with imports that make those Python 2 functions act like their Python 3 equivalents. I think we will find it much easier to maintain just the one branch.

Then in 0.9 we can just drop the compatibility imports.

Kind regards,

Aaron