[Question #664503]: cannot import name Gio

New question #664503 on Duplicity:

Hi,

I am using duplicity via deja-dup to create backups; but recently it stopped working, stating "BackendException: Hintergrundprogramm konnte nicht initialisiert werden: cannot import name Gio" (sorry for the german error messages, unfortunately I failed to switch to english messages).

The command causing this error (reduced to the minimum):

$ duplicity --gio collection-status file:///tmp
…
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1532, in <module>
    with_tempdir(main)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1526, in with_tempdir
    fn()
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1364, in main
    action = commandline.ProcessCommandLine(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/commandline.py", line 1108, in ProcessCommandLine
    globals.backend = backend.get_backend(args[0])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 223, in get_backend
    obj = get_backend_object(url_string)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 211, in get_backend_object
    raise BackendException(_("Could not initialize backend: %s") % str(sys.exc_info()[1]))
BackendException: Hintergrundprogramm konnte nicht initialisiert werden: cannot import name Gio

Removing --gio from the command fixes the problem, but since the command is created by deja-dup I have no idea how to get rid of that option.

A possible solutions I found was that the package python-gi might be missing; it was already installed, and even a
$ apt install --reinstall python-gi
did not help.

My OS: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Version of duplicity: 0.7.06

I'd really appreciate any help…

regards
Dan

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.