Re: [Question #677428]: "Restore" gives the following:Failed to read /tmp/duplicity-Rtd2wO-tempdir/mktemp-67n08q-1. Can I recover any of my data?

trevj gave more information on the question:

On 20/1/19 3:12 am, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Your question #677428 on Duplicity changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/duplicity/+question/677428 Status: Open
> => Needs information Kenneth Loafman requested more information: Some
> questions, - Are you running the same user as duplicity when testing
> gzip? - Is your system up-to-date? - Is /media/trevorj a Linux
> filesystem? Just shooting in the dark here.

On 20/1/19 3:12 am, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> Your question #677428 on Duplicity changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/duplicity/+question/677428 Status: Open
> => Needs information Kenneth Loafman requested more information: Some
> questions, - Are you running the same user as duplicity when testing
> gzip? Yes

> - Is your system up-to-date? Yes - Is /media/trevorj a Linux
> filesystem? Yes

> Just shooting in the dark here.
Desperate times call for desperate actions:

1    I copied all the files on backup to a temp directory on my main
hard disk.

2    In the temp directory I ran

     for t in duplicity-full.20181208T043900Z.*.difftar.gz; do tar xf
$t; done

that's just the files in the first back up on the disk (Dec 8th 2018)

3    That created two directories multivol_snapshot and snapshot.
snapshot was mainly empty folders but multivol_snapshot held most of my
data. Unfortunately. the files were in slices numbered 1, 2 3 etc.
"cat" worked to join test files together. But I cannot imagine going
through all the folders "cat" ing all the files.

I found this script

|find multivol_snapshot/ -type f -printf '%h\0' | \| |||sort -uz | \|
|||xargs -0 -n 1 sh -c 'cd "$1" ; cat $(ls | sort -n) > content' spacer |
It lists the containing directory for every file, removes duplicates
from the list, then goes to each directory and creates a |content |file
from the fragments there. (|spacer |is just to make|$1 |work.)

But it's still messy.

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.

Follow ups