e4200-e4300 team mailing list archive

Re: Overheat and fan

Hi!

I wouldn't know what to advise.

Obviously, it's a problem with your fan. Perhaps you have some dirt inside
(probably) or the fan blades are now contacting with something.

I'm not a hi level DIY guy, but... I have a DIY mini-screwdriver kit, and
100% sure, I'd open it to see. Obviously, very carefully and stopping when
the operation is not clear. If you are unsure, send it to DELL. They have a
very effective and efficient service.
Regards
2009/11/20 Demophobie <demophobie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hello there,
>
> i am having problems with my e4300 fan for like two month.
> Fan is getting noisy sometimes - sounds like it is rubbing to another
> component in the laptop. This occours when i move my laptop a lot (from
> desk to bed etc). When i shut my laptop down and reboot, the sound is
> gone.
>
> Now - sometimes the laptop shuts down alone and tells me when i turn it
> on again, that it was shut down because of overheat. (Error Code #M1004)
>
> Did anyone had similar problems? I know from a Dell technican that the
> E4300 is not nice to deconstruct - and sometimes things get broken then
> - thats because i contact the list before i order a technican.
>
> I am using Gentoo Linux and not the newest Firmware. Any chance a
> firmware update would help? (btw: is there a way to update bios without
> installing windows?)
>
> Have a nice day - and thanks for reading.
> --
> This message was sent from Launchpad by the user
> Demophobie (https://launchpad.net/~demophobie)
> using the "Contact this team" link on the Dell Latitude E4200/E4300 Laptop
> team page to each member directly.
> For more information see
> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople

Follow ups