e4200-e4300 team mailing list archive

Fan noise and external monitor problems

Hello!

I'm a new (very unhappy) user of a brand new E4300.

I've spent one day or so migrating from my old laptop (see my review here:
http://www.itopen.it/2007/11/22/ubuntu-linux-toshiba-satellite-u300/) but
I'm thinking about giving it back since there are too many problems for me
(or maybe I've got a defective unit ?).

All the defects of course are not present in my other laptop with the same
Linux setup (kubuntu karmic 64bit):

1 - external monitor poor quality
I connected my external monitor to the docking station (yes, I've got one
too) at 2048x1152, xrandr worked fine but I have small but noticeable
horizontal vibrating stripes (expecially at high brightness on blue
background)
Same behaviour if I attach the monitor directly to the laptop.

2 - very noisy fan with morse-like intermittent high pitch

3 - all the top row of the keyboard  (function keys, esc, del etc.) misses
some keystrokes, this seems the most serious defect: sometimes you have to
press the keys twice

I've always had Toshiba laptops and maybe I'm used to a higher quality
standard, but those defects are really unacceptable for me.

Do you have any suggestion I can try before giving up and try to get another
unit or a refund ?

Many thanks in advance!

--
Alessandro Pasotti