ecryptfs-devel team mailing list archive

Re: [Ecryptfs-users] Writing a script for encrypting an user's home

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Li, Yan I <yan.i.li@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Great, I'm also following the style from other shell scripts in the
> project (thought I still can't figure out how to tell Emacs to use TAB
> for shell script indention :).

Not my expertise, but I'm sure I can find someone who can tell us...

>> Now, for safety's sake, I strongly insist that the user should *not*
>> be logged into the system while this migration happens.
>
> Sure. I'm running an lsof check at the beginning.

Great.

> I want to support encrypting an user's home _in place_, initiated from
> a non-root user, and I've deviced that reboot method. That will be
> most user-friendly, won't it? Basically when you run this tool as a
> normal user, it just writes a tag file ~/.ENCRYPT_THIS_HOME inside
> your home. And on next reboot, the script is run (by an rc scipt) and
> scans every home for this file and encrypts home that has this file in
> it. It's quite simple actually. It's nearly done. I'll post my draft
> script in a few days.

Cool, I'll look forward to the implementation.  Doing it on reboot is
okay, I think.  I look forward to seeing the implementation ;-)

:-Dustin