ecryptfs-users team mailing list archive

Creating an encrypted directory -- cannot umount

Hi,

I'm trying to create an encrypted directory (which will be a
sub-directory in my home directory) using ecryptfs such that I can
toggle the directory between the encrypted / non-encrypted states at
will. Switching to the unencrypted state would require inputting a
passphrase (no "automount" when logging in). This is on Debian Sid.
I tried this:

  % mkdir .crypto-dir
  % chmod 700 .crypto-dir
  # aptitude install ecryptfs-utils
  # modprobe ecryptfs
  # mount -t ecryptfs .crypto-dir .crypto-dir
  Passphrase:

At this point I made up and entered a passphrase, then followed the
steps, selecting the defaults (with the exceptions of choosing the
twofish cipher and 32 key bytes). There was this message:

  WARNING: Based on the contents of [/root/.ecryptfs/sig-cache.txt],
  it looks like you have never mounted with this key
  before. This could mean that you have typed your
  passphrase wrong.
  Would you like to proceed with the mount (yes/no)? : yes
  Would you like to append sig [****************] to
  [/root/.ecryptfs/sig-cache.txt]
  in order to avoid this warning in the future (yes/no)? : yes
  Successfully appended new sig to user sig cache file
  Mounted eCryptfs

Then I cd'd into ~/.crypto-dir (as non-root) and created some
files there. But when I try to umount, I'm getting this:

  # umount .crypto-dir
  /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: symbol lookup error: /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: undefined symbol: ecryptfs_remove_auth_tok_from_keyring
  /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: symbol lookup error: /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: undefined symbol: ecryptfs_remove_auth_tok_from_keyring

  # umount ecryptfs .crypto-dir
  Could not unlink the key(s) from your keying. Please use `keyctl unlink` if you wish to remove the key(s).
  Proceeding with umount.
  umount: ecryptfs: not found
  /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: symbol lookup error: /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: undefined symbol: ecryptfs_remove_auth_tok_from_keyring
  /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: symbol lookup error: /sbin/umount.ecryptfs: undefined symbol: ecryptfs_remove_auth_tok_from_keyring

What else should I be doing?

TIA for any help,

John

--