ecryptfs-users team mailing list archive

Re: Strange getcwd() behaviour

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:23:38AM -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Alberto Bertogli
> <albertito@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you need any further information (or want me to test anything), please let
> > me know.
>
> Hi Alberto,
>
> First, my apologies for taking so long to respond.  Your note (along
> with a couple of others) got lost, having been picked up by
> Launchpad's filtering.

Oh, don't worry about it, I really appreciate that you're looking into
this.

> In any case, I have actually seen this maybe 3 times in the last few
> years.  It is a strange bug, indeed.  Each time it happened, I had
> very recently (within that screen session) done an apt-get
> dist-upgrade.  I think it's somehow related to that -- possibly the
> changeover to a new libc library or something.
>
> If you're still seeing this, please open a bug at
> http://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs, and please provide as *much*
> information as possible about how to reproduce the error.

I actually did on an email to this bug, on 2010-03-16, according to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/479248:

> After discussing it with her, we came up with the following scenario that
> seems to cause the problem:
>
>  1. She launches a screen session
>  2. She logs off (her X session), leaving the screen detached
>  3. She logs back in
>  4. She re-attaches the screen, creates a new terminal, and it's broken.
>
> That reliably reproduces the problem.
>
> If the ecryptfs mount is automatically unmounted after 2, the working
> directory of screen disappears and causes it to break. A "cd" fixes it because
> it changes the working directory to her home, which is the new mount point.
>
> What we are not sure is that if the semantics for the broken shell are
> correct (i.e. consistant with the dissapearance of the underlying working
> directory).

Is that useful? Can you reproduce it there, or should I check for some
installation-specific stuff that may be interfering?

Thanks a lot,
		Alberto