ecryptfs-users team mailing list archive

A desperate post

Hello please let me know if this is posted in the wrong place and if
so where I should post to get useful information:

I was trying to mount my encrypted home directory from a livecd in
order to back up my data (according to the instructions at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils/+bug/455709)
, when I accidentally deleted what I thought was one of the .ecryptfs
folders in my encrypted home. Since I performed the "move to trash" in
nautilus I thought that it would be in the trash and I could just
restore it. No such luck. So now I am pretty much freaking out. I have
the password, it looks like all the files are still in .Private but
when I boot my system and logon all that is in my home folder are:
Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop README.txt .Private .cache .gnome2
and a new folder that starts with
ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.<longstringofrandomdigitsandletters>--.

In other words I have no idea how to get the data out of my home
folder now. Is it even possible? All the files are still there in
.Private but I can't even read their names as they too are encrypted.
I really don't care if I can never successfully log on again as long
as there is some, however tedious way to recover the individual files.

I do still seem to have the .ecryptfs folder in ../ one that has my
main folder in it, which in turn has another .ecryptfs directory that
contains auto-mount, auto-umount Private.sig Private.mnt and
wrapped-passphrase. Which is what I was using to follow the
instructions from that bugpost shown earlier.

I am sorry for the long post and desperation, but this is years of
work lost because of one stupid miss-click, and desperately hope to
recover it.

Thank you for your time
Xander

Follow ups