elementary-dev-community team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Maya backend branch status update
My work on Maya taking place in the backend branch is at an advanced
stage. And so I have merged my work into trunk.
I would like to give existing and potential contributors an overview of
the state of Maya...
* Maya tracks the events in EDS. If you add, update, or remove an event
that is in the current range of the Maya calendar, it will be picked up
* Maya allows you to select and deselect the sources you wish to make
use of. The events for the source will be loaded and unloaded automatically.
* When you switch month or year, the events for the new date range are
loaded. Only the events for the selected sources are loaded.
* Maya has a pretty damn good set of vapi's now, including one for
libical. However only functions actually used have been tested. Many
functions will probably require tweaking.
* Consistent formatting of the source code. Currently there are problems
with inconsistent code style and tab/space conventions. I have developed
a solution using uncrustify that I am currently testing.
* Creating basic sources in EDS if they don't exist. I have not tested
what happens if a user starts Maya without previously ever using
Evolution. In this case, the sources might need to be created in the EDS
* Storing the user's selected sources in saved-state or preferences.
Currently the list of sources that the user has selected are not stored
once Maya is closed.
* Backend support for more EDS features: free-busy, attachments,
recurring events, and so on.
How you can help:
* Improving the source selector. Turn it from a popup dialog into a
popover. Implement adding/removing sources. Design of add/edit source
* Rendering actual events on the grid and "sidebar". Implement the
methods tagged TODO in Maya.View.CalendarView: add_event, update_event,
remove_event, remove_all_events. Also get the sidebar working to list
the day's events.
* Get the vapi's properly integrated into EDS. Currently we are using
vala-gen-introspect and vapigen. However, the EDS team have moved to
using gobject-introspection. So contributing back will require adapting
the .metadata files to GIR.
I plan to write up most of the above points into bug/wishlist reports
and blueprints on Launchpad.
Instead of responding to specific points on the mailing list, you might
want to continue the discussion on the appropriate (forthcoming)