Re: Non-PAE Kernel on the new Luna OS

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Benjamin Beelitz
<b.beelitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> With "Hacks" i mean i must install an alternate-cd an then install with
> the non-pae kernel. Thats all. So the mainline kernel you could find here:
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.3.4-precise/  (i think u
> know it)
>
> an there is althought an non-pae version. I think u must just build an iso
> with the original kernel and an iso with non-pae kernel... thats all... or
> can i install elementaryos luna with pae on an non-pae version like the
> ubuntu "alternate" cd, in the future?? I think not :-( And thats my
> problem.... btw i don´t know if you build special thinks in the kernel for
> elementaryos... if its so, the custom iso would be more work...
>
> Non-PAE CPUs are old Banias and Dothan cpus als well some thinkpads... i
> think linux is an ultimate system.. and in the past it runs on
> all pcs and notebooks without problems.. but with this pae it might not
>
> i will use elementaryos in the future... but i think i can´t... :-( so i
> must change

Well, I think shipping mainline kernel instead of Ubuntu-patched one is not
exactly brilliant idea. I've been using mainline builds for over 6 months
and I have to admit Ubuntu devs do have good reasons to patch kernels.
Hopefully I'll be able to make a LiveCD spin that boots on non-pae systems
and doesn't cause a kitten carnage in process, but I can't test it anyway,
so I'd prefer an interested party to do it in collaboration with me or Ivo
Nunes (https://launchpad.net/~netherblood).