Re: Fwd: Neutrino - Top-of-the-line-support for luna+1

Sounds good in general, but I have a few concerns.

First, I'm afraid there will be ways to trick the command interpreter and
make the app display incorrect information about the script to be executed.
Besides, restricting the language to simple commands won't really help (I
can still invoke bash or perl with obfuscated malicious code or simply wget
something wicked) but will set a high entrance barrier for solution
providers who are usually fluent in BASH.
You can try to tell what the script does by running it in some sandbox
first (e.g. in a virtual machine) but that can be circumvented by detecting
the sandboxing and pretending to be harmless. That may be kind of remedied
by automatically generating an AppArmor profile based on sandbox activity,
but that still won't protect from adding a good repo in the sandbox and a
bad repo on user's machine. And most users don't even know what a
repository is...
Moreover, it's quite easy to get past such security measures with a bit of
obfuscation and simple social engineering.

Second, each and every solution must be easily reversible. Like, one-click
reversible. I think somebody pointed me to just the system a while ago...
something like btrfs snapshots might work too, but only for immediate
reversal.

Third, I'd prefer the app to support self-service, like in the current
answers system. The user enters the problem symptoms and gets a list of
solutions, which can have a workaround script attached. Just like in
current answers, these solutions can be rated as helpful or unhelpful.
Piping *every single* support request through live support sounds like a
huge overkill.

Following up on that, users also should be able to open support tickets
from the app, so they can not only apply solutions for known issues but
bring up new issues too. Support tickets may later be converted to bug
reports by the people providing tech support. This will replace direct bug
reporting for non-tech-savvy users because they can't tell if the problem
they're experiencing is a software bug or their mistake. See
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/elementaryweb/+spec/friendly-bug-reportingfor
rationale and details on this point.

As for live support, the user shouldn't have to copy-paste anything at all.
The technician should be able to propose a solution directly to the user,
so the user just sees a confirmation prompt and accepting/declining it is a
one-click process if you trust the sender (but viewing source code of the
solution and maybe other security measuers should be available too).