Re: Mir Discussion with Jono

On 10 July 2013 18:27, Daniel Foré <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>

> So here’s the distilled conversation we had with Jono:

[snip]

> Obviously there are pros and cons. The biggest con is that it is highly
> unlikely Canonical will put staff hours into make sure stuff like Gtk+ and
> Clutter work on Mir. This work is essential to elementary as it stands and
> blocks us from running natively on Mir.

[snip]

Did Jono explain why this is unlikely, or is that your speculation? Because
it sounds contrary to the recent Mir interview. It also seems kind of weird
that a desktop distribution would want to make such an enormous amount of
applications second class citizens in this way.

It seems unlikely that they'll add GTK+ as a language for Ubuntu SDK
anytime soon, but that's a completely different thing and wouldn't affect
Elementary in any case. I would certainly expect Canonical to add a GTK+
backend for Mir. Otherwise, they'll have close to no hope of making Mir a
successful display server.

More information about this would be very interesting read.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad