Re: Picking Up Shotwell Development

Hello everyone,

I just want to add to Daniel's announcement that I'm pleased to see elementary take up this torch and run with it. Shotwell is an important piece of software for me, both personally (as someone who devoted many hours to crafting it) as well as speaking as a Yorban.

As Daniel mentioned, I'll be available to discuss the how's and why's behind Shotwell's code and design and offer any guidance I can. I don't want to impose as a guiding hand and tell people how things should be done. I will say that most decisions we made with Shotwell involved weighing alternatives as well as taking input from our users and confronting technical limitations. Please feel free to ask to consult me! Chances are we here at Yorba know about the problem and have some insight about related pitfalls.

Although slightly out-of-date, I do recommend anyone diving into Shotwell take a look at our architecture overview:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Shotwell/Architecture

I've also subscribed to the Pantheon Photos bug list and will probably be chiming in from time to time with notes.

I think this move is beneficial to elementary, Yorba, and our collective users. Here's to the future of photo management on the Free Desktop!

-- Jim