Re: GSoC (again)

Thanks for reminding us Raphael,

First, did we get any feedback last year? If we did, we should definitely
work towards this direction.

I am not an expert in GSoC applications, but my feeling is that we have
*many* and *small* targets. Although important, most of the targets in the
"idea page" have a scope of two weeks (full-time work). My understanding
from other project's applications (e.g., MINIX) is that the focus should be
3+ months of work (and students even start before GSoC).

At the same time, provided that we have 2-3 such tasks, we need to show
 why mentorship is *critical*. For instance, most of the proposed ideas
don't need any mentoring (provided a student is willing to code) and the
ones that need mentorship (e.g., Android idea) have a concrete plan. In
particular, I would expect to see a couple of sentences of (1) why the
mini-project the student is tackling is hard (2) how is the mentor going to
alleviate many of these with the right guidance (3) why the project is
important. For instance, what are the possible obstacles one is going to
face, and how can we guide the student to avoid these as much as possible?
We need to actually flesh out the details for whatever we are proposing!

Obviously, no one expects us to foresee the future! What we need to show is
that we have put *considerable* effort in planning and that we will make
the most out of both the student's and the mentor's time. At the same time,
we are showing that some of these cannot be done any other way (or would
take something equivalent of a year of someone's working less than
part-time with no guidance!). As an added value, we could call out
potentially *non-obvious* benefits in the FOSS community. By succeeding
there, what do we enable?

Just to give an example, one idea of this level would be the Time Machine
(for lack of a better name). It is a considerable effort, it *requires*
mentoring, it will benefit the whole FOSS community, it may integrate with
cloud services (e.g., Google's own servers) and it's painfully missing. Of
course, this is only an example, but there are other ideas of this level.

Let's start working early on this!

Nikos