enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #165039]: Cannot Wire Network

Question #165039 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/165039

William Batie is still having a problem:
As Stated earlier all computers are in workgroup=WORKGROUP. UBUNTU sees
Windows Network-WORKGROUP, i.e.; Home Folder, click Network, click Windows
Network, click WORKGROUP, but the error "Unable to mount location - Failed
to retrieve share list from server. However if I go to Home
Folder=>File=>Connect to Sever, and choose "Window share" and under Server:
enter the IP address of the Vista Ulimate 64 computer the I connect with the
computer and see all of the shared files. On the Vista computer I click
"Network" and I see all computers on the network, "WORKGROUP"; i.e., Ubuntu,
Mac, XP pro, ect. which all belong to "WORKGROUP". If Ubuntu is not capable
of doing what Windows Vista does, simply tell me and I will get rid of
Ubuntu which is a stand alone.
Thank you, since you are the only one who has responded, thus sensing that
the rest of the community does not no the answer.
Thanks again,
Bill Batie