enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #87080]: Karmic-Networking (SAMBA) just does not work, even with detailed attention.

Question #87080 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/87080

emarkay is still having a problem:
FWIW, this is still an issue for me, 2 (plus) years later, and a quick
review of the Ubuntu Forum Message Boards indicate that there are still
fundamental flaws in networking configuration and operation in Ubuntu,
when using Samba, both natively and with other ooperating Systems. I
also see more than one indicating a potential additional issue with
wireless networked clients.

I was prepared to devote full days and virgin machines to address this
issue a long while ago, but was basically rebuffed, and it hasn't been
an important enough issue for me to address with 100% effort.  However,
as I just completely reinstalled Lucid 10.04.3 on one of my machines and
"just for fun" spent some time trying to network to another Lucid
machine, and still, no success.

If I was the only one saying that "Samba doesn't work" or "Networking
Ubuntu is not intuitive" or similar, I could understand the lack of
attention. However, I am just dumbfounded that there's no "point and
click" configuration (I recall Windows 95 had that, but yes, I know this
is Linux...), but moreso, that there is not at least updated and
accurate official documentation from Canonical on getting PC's networked
in Ubuntu Lucid and above.

Thus teh question remains: How to network 2 or more PC's in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.