enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #168698]: Ubuntu 11.04 need workaround untill installing Samba stops giving 404 errors

Question #168698 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/168698

L. P. Luigi Espenlaub  is still having a problem:
Thank you very much for guiding me through that one, unfortunately, now the problem seems to be workgroup vs domain in windows XP world.  we have a home network of three computers, to which I am attempting to add this Ubuntu computer.
[Basically I want to be sure of access to all shared folders on the network before I start installing Ubuntu on the other three and eventually stop booting windows entirely.]  I have had little to no exposure to the Unix world and due to dyslexia and a visual brain, I am a total failure most times at command lines.]

I now have an Ubuntu folder with the network symbol and the workgroup name.
When I open it, The window reads
 "Password required for "WORKGROUP" [we use a different name]
The computer's user name is correct
and asks for a password
While we have individual user logins on our machines we were never asked nor set a network password, or the password may have been "blank" [Win XP installs were several years ago].

If I leave the password blank, I get a reshowing of the above window
with no error message, such as "wrong password"

Then later I get the following message window:
--------------------------
Unable to mount location
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
I can see my XP machines from my other XP machines, but no hint of the Ubuntu machine in the XP network workgroup window.

I have been trying to find help in Christopher Negus's "Linux 2009 ed
Bible" If you can refer me to a better teach by example reference or
where in his book to go I am willing to study.

Any further help you can give to get me past this further glitch I will
be most grateful for.

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.