enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #171629]: Where do I find the name of my computer and other system information?

Question #171629 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/171629

Eliah Kagan proposed the following answer:
Ubuntu 9.04 is not longer supported, so you should upgrade to at least
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. You can do this by upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 using the
alternate CD and then to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, or you can do this by
offloading all your documents and other important files and performing a
fresh reinstallation. One of the consequences of Ubuntu 9.04 being EoL
(end-of-life, i.e., no longer supported) is that updates for newly
discovered security vulnerabilities are not released, which makes you
insecure on the Internet and, to a lesser extent, in general when using
your computer on any network or to access files created by anyone else.

Since Ubuntu 9.04 is no longer supported, I don't have a copy to check
and see the ideal graphical way of determining your computer's hostname.
However, on any version of Ubuntu and most other Linux-based and Unix-
like OSes, you can find out what your hostname is by running the
command: hostname

In Ubuntu, you can run this command by opening a Terminal window
(Applications > Accessories > Terminal or Ctrl+Alt+T), typing in the
command, and pressing enter.

However, as explained above, you should not continue running Ubuntu
9.10. You should upgrade to a supported release, or, if you do not want
to do that, you should use a supported release of some other operating
system.

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.