enterprise-support team mailing list archive

[Question #191051]: Apache2 keeps restarting causing system to crash

New question #191051 on apache2 in Ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2/+question/191051

Last week I did a complete fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 desktop.

I installed apache2, postfix, php5, and a host of other services.

The new install ran about 3 days and then started locking up and freezing.

I thought maybe I had a hard drive error, so I got one of my other computers and did the same exact fresh install.

About the same 3 days later the second computer also started freezing up.

On one of the brief 10 second moments that the computer started running again, I was alble to see that the resources showed 80%-user 20%-kernel 0%-IO 0%-idle

When I looked at the "USER Running Processes" I spotted that there were about a hundred (or more) lines reading:
"/usr/sbin/apache2 -k restart"

Again during a moment the machine started running again I issued the "service apache2 stop" command. The computer confimred with " [OK] " that apache had stopped.

After that moment all other services on the machine started functioning again and the computer seems to be running fine (with apache still off) for the last 3 days.

For grins, I took the first computer and rebooted, and qujickly got a command line and turned off apache on that machine as well.

Both machines seem to run good as long as apache2 is turn off.

If I turn it back on, then pretty soon the machines starts to lockup again.

Yes... My memory tested good (1-gig) and both hard drives tested good with no errors on either machine.

So....

Anyone know why Apache2 seems to be attempting to restart itself on a non-stop basis ?? This "/usr/sbin/apache2 -k restart" nonstop is killing me.

If I can cure it, I'm sure my webhosting clients would love to see their sites again.

Any help is appreciated.

Bill

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for
apache2 in Ubuntu.