enterprise-support team mailing list archive

[Question #196768]: Can't share a drive with a windows computer on the network

New question #196768 on samba in Ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/196768

Using Samba or just creating a share of an external drive will not work at all for me. The most i get from a windows computer on my home network is an invalid user error. Most of the time the drive and /or folder shows up but I can not access it, then sometimes it don't. I've tried and followed all the advice I've found to no end. I just want to share a whole external drive on my home network, with the other computers running Windows 7, and have all the permissions to create, delete, move, and so on. I want just a simple explanation on how to do this this in any way someone can.

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.