enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #197404]: Unable to install samba4 to share resources among my network!! :(

Question #197404 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/197404

Simon Michelini is still having a problem:
actionparsnip!! I thought that you had a better idea of my situation
than that!! I thought that it was obvious that I know how to right click
on a folder and set the sharing options for it.. and allow permissions..
yes, I know how to do that.  This is not where my difficulty lies.
After the folder is set as a share and the Other permissions are set to
read and write, I am still not able to access the folder from another
machine on the network.  The other machine shows up under Places >
Network.  Until I executed your last suggested commands, then the other
machines would not show up at all under Places > Network.  I restored
the dpkg from the backup folder.  I am grateful for your wisdom in
backing up this important folder before making a significant change.
After restoring the back up, I am once again able to at least see that
there are other machines on the network, but although I have set up
shares with open permissions on the other computer, when I attempt to
access the other computer, I get the message: Unable to retrieve share
list from the server ..something like that.  After all this you thought
that my issue was just that I did not configure the share?? I thought we
were on the same page!!! At any rate, I appreciate your involvement.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be preventing me from sharing
folders across my network? Has anyone had a similar issue, not being
able to share folders across a network (after configuring the folders as
shared with Others Read/Write permissions)?

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.