enterprise-support team mailing list archive

[Question #214464]: Unable to see files from Windows Vista after installing Ubuntu 12.10

New question #214464 on samba in Ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/214464

Long story short, my kids downloaded a trojan that crashed my computer running Windows Vista.  After several days of failed attempts, I ran and isntalled Ubuntu to get access to my files (mainly our family photos).  When I was running Ubuntu from the DVD, I could at first see the files, but not edit them.  Told me I didn't have permissions as an owner.  When I installed Ubuntu, it created another partition and left (I think) my Windows data in a partition formatted as ext4 with just over 10 gigs of space, which I think is the right amount of data.  I can also NOT dual boot, but this isn't that surprising as the Windows Vista instance wouldn't boot before I installed Ubuntu

Now my problem is that while I have installed gparted and can see the ext4 partition (assuming that is Windows), I can not get to it from HomeFolder, again as it say I do not have necessary permissions to view.

How do I unlock the files from the ext4 partition so that I can get access to my photos?

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.