enterprise-support team mailing list archive

[Question #215715]: 12.04 dtop, file sharing screw up?

New question #215715 on samba in Ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/215715

Using Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop,
  **this was my 4th time trying ubuntu, so im not good with it... at all!

 ****my vision was, a server, my mom could store all of her photos, then access them as she needed. Also wanted to be able to take my photos , send them to server, and if my mom wanted to edit them she could. (both use Windows)

Trying to setup a home file server.
 first followed
 http://lifehacker.com/5919558/turn-an-old-computer-into-a-networked-backup-streaming-or-torrenting-machine-with-ubuntu
     *however i DID NOT do the password part since we live out in the boonies!

after this I could share files just fine to the server, but they were all read only.  I needed every machine to be able to see the pics, and edit them.

so I fooled around with the permission tabs, and still no luck

I then tried
http://www.sitepoint.com/ubuntu-12-04-lts-precise-pangolin-file-sharing-with-samba/
 this is where i think i made a mistake.
in this tutorial you have to set up each windows user name to have be on the samba list and have a password. on my laptop I thought i made a user card, but cant see it anywhere, and if I try to access server it is now password protected, and my password does not work?  on any machine!

after trying to figure it out for awhile i removed samba and tried this tutorial
http://rbgeek.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/how-to-install-samba-server-on-ubuntu-12-04/

near the end of this I realized it was for server version. Yet the server still has the password protected screen when accessed from any machine!

anyway I can revert to before i started this? if not how can i get this thing to work as I intend.
any help is super appreciated as right now I just want to take the ubuntu disc and shoot it!

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.