enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #250789]: MS office files alone do not open from network in Samba share/kubuntu 14.04 LTS system

Question #250789 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/250789

S.S.Mani gave more information on the question:
Using "Nnautilus-in-kubuntu-instead-of-dolphin", will it solve this
issue anyway?

http://www.muktware.com/2011/06/use-nautilus-in-kubuntu-instead-of-
dolphin/1224

I give below the contants of the link also here;

"Kubuntu comes with Dolphin as the default File Manage, however, for
someone who is coming from Ubuntu Dolphin doesn’t cut it. The reason I
switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu was Unity. It was extremely counter-
productive.

If I am running GIMP with more than 2 files its quite impossible to
select the desired file. The global menu messes it up between
applications and much more.

I think, I am done with Unity or Gnome 3, Kubuntu is the way to go.
However, I always use a mix. I am used to Nautilus, the default File
Manager of Gnome. It allows you to open windows in Tab. It also lets you
do much more. So, I installed Nautilus in Kubuntu and set it as the
default File Manager. If you are missing Nautilus on Kubuntu, here is
how you can do it.

1. Open Synaptic Package Manager (or Kubuntu Software Manager) and install nautilus.
2. Now go to System Settings and click on default applications.

Kubuntu
3. Now click on the File Manager and select “other: click Add…” and click on the browse button next to it.

Kubuntu

4. Under the General Tab click on Add button
5. Now type “nautilus” in the windows and OK.

Use Nautilus In Kubuntu Instead Of Dolphin
6. You will see File Manger added along with Dolphin and Gwenview. Click on Edit and under the Third Tab Application, enter the name Nautilus –> OK
7 Apply –> OK. Again Apply –> OK
8. Now you will see Nautilus as the default File Manager.

Enjoy the best of both worlds."

Has any one tried it with success?

mani

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.