enterprise-support team mailing list archive

[Question #251439]: Why is Samba listening? How started? Safe to Uninstall?

New question #251439 on samba in Ubuntu:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/251439

Clean install of Kubuntu 14.04.
For comparison I have another machine with Kubuntu 12.04

On 14.04:
.  smbd is listening on ports 139, 445.
.  samba, samba-common, samba-common-bin, samba-libs, smb-client etc are installed,
and that Samba is 'automatically installed'
.  two smbd process are running.

By contrast, in 12.04:
.  while some of these were installed the Samba module was not
.  also Samba was not listening
.  no smbd processes are running.

Also, if I do a sysv-rc-conf: samba, samba-ad-dc and smb are all there but no checkbox to indicate they are started.
Have also chked /usr/share/autostart, /etc/systemd/system, /etc/xdg/autostart.

The apps manually installed on both machines are the same (except for version of course).

So:
1.   Is it deliberate that Samba is now installed by default
     (or have I made some setting choice somewhere that caused this to happen).

2.  How is smbd being started?
There seems to be a new place to start daemons I am not aware of.

3.  Is it safe to uninstall samba, samba-common, samba-common-bin, samba-libs, smb-client etc and winbind?
I never share files with windows machines, and if I happen to find myself near one, I always wash my hands afterwards ;-)

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.