enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: SSSD, should I be using it?

Hello,

On 02/18/2013 11:46 PM, David Burke wrote:
I often hear people mention SSSD as a good way to authenticate to Active Directory or Samba. Is SSSD production ready on Ubuntu? Is there a good getting started guide?

SSSD is definitely production ready. It's already in use for a long time on Fedoras and RedHats. Although SSSD is in the universe repository, Timo Aaltonen is really providing good support for it and it has a MIR (main inclusion request), so it will become part of main.

I don't have any getting started guide, if it's not on Google, perhaps somebody else has it.

From the info I've seen of it, there's a lot to configure.

Well, isn't it the same for anything else? Perhaps I am paranoid, where I need to be able to fine-tune the software as it would run on hundreds of machines, but I still believe it's the case for anything else.

The thing that absolutely frightens me is comments saying things like "Hey make sure to add this conf option".

If somebody doesn't give the reason for such a conf line, I'd either say it's irrelevant, connected to an old bug or just supposed to deal with a particular problem. If you have the problem - you need to check for yourself.

After setting up pam_ldap (and cached credentials, and cron jobs to update nss, etc) once I'm rather afraid of the do everything yourself method as I know I'll make mistakes and forget things.

Great to hear I've not been the only one doing it. For Ubuntu Lucid we have used a ldap+krb5+ccreds pam.d setup. Yes, it was a little tricky, especially krb5 delay when DNS entries were unavailable and caused the whole login process to fail.

I guess then you bumped already into a number of GnuTLS-related pam_ldap problems, tweaking the pam.d stack and everything. I'd say - it's easier with SSSD, although the sssd.conf is perhaps less documented on the Internet than /etc/ldap.conf. See its manpage or I can provide you with mine.

I've heard people on this list say likewise open is not the best, but it is certainly easy to use. I'm curious why SSSD might be a better option.

Well, perhaps then Likewise Open is an answer for you? It has a nice GUI to join the domain and everything. I will give you the reasons why we did not use Likewise Open: 1. Its functionality is crippled and the reason for it is the fact they are selling also the Enterprise version. The Enterprise version costs more than we can afford and their commercial support for the Open version is costly as well. 2. If you have already configured AD with Unix attributes and gave those to users, you will not be able to use that. It's an Enterprise version feature. In your case (when I see you configured nss_update to cache the NSS data), you may wonder: 'Hey, I'll use cached NSS from LDAP and Likewise for PAM'. Nope, sorry, it doesn't work. I tested it. To get the AD Unix attributes with Likewise, you need to buy the Enterprise version. 3. I have seen a number of Ubuntu version <-> Likewise version incompatibilities. You need to make sure the version you are using works with Ubuntu you want to use it with. Not cool. 4. Likewise ships with its own set of LDAP and Kerberos libraries. Aside from the fact it's not elegant, you need to configure other Kerberos-aware software pieces that their Kerberos library is not in /usr/lib. Hopefully, it's possible to tell Firefox where it should seek its kerberos libs/ticket. Due to that, it may turn out you cannot use some kerberos-aware tools because you would need to wrap all those around the likewise kerberos libs. 5. Likewise Open assigns very high UIDs. Aside from the fact it's not handy, we would not have a consistent UID naming scheme throughout organization. I was told that some Solaris versions we use do not support so high UID numbers.

Aside from those above SSSD brings a number of benefits:
1. You can separate the NSS part from the PAM part, so you can have a NIS or OpenLDAP server with just user data and you can authenticate to AD Kerberos at the same time. 2. It's fully open-source. Not a single euro spent for software/support. I guess we owe to RedHat as it's the sponsor of the upstream software and to Timo for .deb packaging and ubuntu version maintenance. No strings attached. 3. Multi-arch support. You can just use libnss-sss from the foreign arch to connect to sssd daemon running on native arch.

I think my requirements are fairly standard - user can log in, cached credentials work, kerberos tickets would be nice, changing passwords in a sane way would be nice.

Read those above well. It might be that none of the problems is related to your current or future environment and it seems Likewise Open fulfils your requirements.

Of course you can do the same with SSSD.

Cheers,
Ballock