enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: UDS 13.08

Sorry I missed it. Just watching it now.

I can tell you about my experience with central authentication outside of
Active Directory. I've tried out Zentyal 3.0 with Samba4 in two use cases
recently.

1. Joining an existing Active Directory domain as an additional domain
controller. This was an interesting experiment but I have to suggest not
doing this. It quickly got out of sync with our other domain controllers.
Aside from this it's very slow, for example just navigating the directory
tree from a Windows client is very slow compared to AD. I tried running a
samba print server on it but found it a painful experience. Many features
just don't work such as listing printers in a directory. We killed off the
server after a month.
2. Lone Zentyal server. I haven't had as many issues here and it is in
production usage. This is a mostly Linux environment so we are using CUPS
instead of samba printing. The free version I'm using is less reliable than
Active Directory. Updates often break things. It requires considerable
Linux sys admin knowledge when the gui breaks. I believe their paid version
has a different repository that is more well tested. Overall I would say
Zentyal is easier to manage than pure openldap, but not nearly as stable or
feature complete as MS Active Directory. One reason we migrated to samba4
here was to use pam_winbind instead of pam_ldap. I find pam_ldap with
cached credentials to be highly unreliable. Kerberos ticketing is also nice.

Would love to hear any stories of using Samba4, directory 389, etc. I'm
hoping samba4 matures enough by the time Server 2003 support ends.

Best,
David Burke