From:   Bolesław Tokarski <boleslaw.tokarski@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     <enterprise-ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   06.09.2013 07:49
Subject:        Re: [Enterprise-ubuntu] Managing printers
Sent by:        "Enterprise-ubuntu"
<enterprise-ubuntu-bounces+florian.bieber=conti.de@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

The way we offer printers to our users is that we have implemented a
simple GTK-based application that searches AD's LDAP and prints the
printer name along with its location. Although most of the printers
publish some kind of information on the driver required, I wouldn't say it
is totally reliable. However, most of our printers seem to support
PostScript, so we are using that one. For printing backend we used a shell
wrapper, ksmb, which accesses Samba printers using Kerberos.

Now, restrictions on colour printing is a tough thing. The printers we use
provide this functionality in their Windows drivers, so that a printer
queue in AD is set to use driver providing colour or not. Additionally,
there's a group policy enforcing that you cannot use a different driver
(allowing colour) on a printer queue that should not have access to colour
printing on device. The truth is, however, that once you use a Linux
printing driver, no such restrictions are in place and you can print
colour images to a non-colour printing queue.

A real colour printing restriction would need to be put on the print
server side, I believe. You can't trust the client to generate a raw
binary string that will not ask the printer to use colour, the same way
you can't tell if the data stream is supposed to print colour or b&w,
unless you knew the logic of the printer and could parse the stream.

However, in the Linux world you have much more flexibility. The printing
'drivers' are actually simple programs (filters) that parse stuff on input
and produce printer-consumable output. You can use them on the print
server (though it's rarely used), on the clients you would need to be able
to get the data to the printer in some unmodified raw format directly from
software, or perhaps in a universal PostScript code that your server-side
driver would be able to parse. It might be non-trivial, but I believe
that's the only way to enforce b&w printing.

Oh, there's another way - have a separate printer for colour printing that
you deny access to to anyone who should not print colour.

Regarding the CUPS bug you mention, I'd recommend you tried this on a
newer Ubuntu. If the bug has been fixed, you should be able to backport it
or narrow down the bug report to a specific version of CUPS.

Cheers, Ballock