Re: Application domains

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 10:26:55AM -0500, Robert C. Kirby wrote:

> 1.) We don't know that not-precompiling code sacrifices significant
> performance.  This is not a settled question.  It could be that the
> optimal run-time code is only epsilon more expensive than the optimal
> compiled code.  It largely depends on how the systems are
> engineered.  An interesting comparison (don't want to ruffle any
> feathers though) would be to make a run of solving some problem in
> DOLFIN and in Sundance and compare the time to assemble the matrix.

That would be great. If would think DOLFIN/FFC does the form
evaluation faster (computing the element stiffness matrix) but
Sundance might very well beat us when you count in insterting into the
global matrix (don't know how PETSc compares to Trilinos here) and
interacting with the mesh (our mesh is probably a little slow).

I think a benchmark would be constructive since it would help both
codes find any bottlenecks we're not aware of.

/Anders