From: Matthew Knepley [mailto:knepley@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:28 PM
To: Garth N. Wells
Cc: tomtzigt; 'Discussion of FEniCS development'
Subject: Re: [fenics-dev] FEniCS, Sieve and AMR

"Garth N. Wells" <g.n.wells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Quoting tomtzigt <tomtzigt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> What is the roadmap of the functionality integration between FEniCS and
>> Sieve? I am looking at using CUBIT for some industrial strength meshing
but
>> need some help understanding the impact of that choice in the context of
AMR
>> within FEniCS.
>
> My limited experience using CUBIT has been positive. It is very powerful.
An
> irritation was the restrictive distribution, which in the past required
that you
> write an essay on how you planned to keep the source code secure. After
they
> "graded" your essay, several days later you could receive the source code.
>
> I see now that they ask for a license fee. While it's not much, I find
that the
> time and hassle required to process this type of thing is not worth the
effort
> given the open source alternatives, such as gmsh, which are available.
>
> An iteresting issue is how mesh input can be generated for Sieve. Could
Matt or
> Dmitry elaborate on this?

  I have written a parser for two similar mesh formats, basically vertex
coordinates
and vertex lists for cells. I have only tested simplices, but it should work
for
all polytopes I think (need to  check). In the process it constructs all
intermediate
edges, faces, etc. I can make this optional. It would not be hard to write
custom
input for other formats I think.

      Matt
--
"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec
Guiness