Re: [DOLFIN-dev] FEniCS package

> It has become obvious that the installation of various FEniCS packages
> (most notably DOLFIN and dependencies) is an obstacle for many users.
>
> Maybe it's time we provide a binary (+headers) distribution of the
> collection of FEniCS packages that is *very* simple to set up?
>
> This would include all the FEniCS packages (DOLFIN, FErari, FFC, FIAT,
> Ko, Puffin) and any non-standard dependencies (PETSc, uBLAS, libxml2,
> MPI, UMFPACK, SLEPc etc).
>
> The process of building the package could be semi-automated and the
> package would be named FEniCS (fenics) with a version number of its
> own.
>
> Any thoughts?

Of course it would be great to be able to offer this. And possibly (at
least some of) the projects are stable enough to motivate it.

> Anyone wants to help building the package?

I have no experience in building binaries, and I do not have the
opportunity to set aside time to learn at this point. The time I plan to
invest in FEniCS this coming period will be focused on the mesh (moving,
smoothing, refining,...), b.c. (including geometry: normals etc.), and
solvers (FSI, free surface, compressible flow,...).

/Johan