Re: FEniCS package

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 12:30:11PM -0400, Theodore Omtzigt wrote:
> Sure, let's start from there. I have had many a problem with 64bit linux, so
> let's see how well that ports. So far I have always used a tar drop, but I
> presume that sits in the subversion repository? If you can give me a pointer
> I can give your script a shot.

It's very fresh. I got something very basic working quickly, but I
need to test it more. I'll publish it when it's in working condition.

> Personally, I like a distinct separation between downloads and installs.
> When you are on the road, connectivity is not always available and that way
> you can download just before you board the plane and then build, or try to
> build, during the flight.

The script is setup so it downloads and builds everything necessary,
but this is not intended for end-users, but rather for someone who
wants to contribute a build. A user would download the build
containing everything and just unpack it.

> Secondly, I have been working on a windows build script for DevStudio, but
> the FEniCS code organization is not conducive for windows. I will continue
> to try to make it work so that once I do have it I can compare it to
> alternatives.

I have absolutely no idea how (or why) Windows works so any input in
that direction is welcome.

/Anders